[Please visit our 'SPA POLICIES' page for our cancellation policies before booking your appointments - thank you]
THE MOVIE SPA is proud to announce the addition of medical grade LASER HAIR REMOVAL services for our clients who prefer a more permanent solution over traditional waxing procedures.
When comparing prices with other spas, make sure you know what type of machine they are using. There is a difference between IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), or BBL (Broadband Light), or a diode laser.
An IPL machine is NOT a laser. It is a light-based technologythat can be used for a variety of procedures and is not a dedicated hair removal machine. It is incorrect for anyone to say that they use an IPL machine for laser hair removal.
THE MOVIE SPA uses the Lumenis LightSheer™ diode laser which is considered the industry “gold standard” in achieving permanent hair reduction. The Lumenis LightSheer™ diode laser works on a range of hair colors and is specifically engineered and manufactured primarily for hair removal. An innovative cooling device on the end of the laser wand called the ChillTip™ soothes the skin after each pulse of light, ensuring that treatment is as comfortable as possible.
A consultation session is required prior to your first laser appointment to discuss your various options for hair removal. Call now to book your free 15-minute consultation appointment (604) 736-2111
1. How many laser sessions do I need for all the hair to stop growing?
Depending on several factors such as hair color, hair type, growth density, etc., the average number of sessions is 6 to 8 visits. During your free consultation, the laser technician will be able to give you a better estimation.
2. Does The Movie Spa use an actual laser machine or an IPL (Intense Pulse Light) machine?
The Movie Spa uses one of the best laser machines on the market which is the Lumenis LightSheer™ laser diode machine. An IPL machine is technically not a laser, because IPL machines use xenon flash lamps that emit full spectrum light. The Lumenis LightSheer™ uses laser diodes specifically designed for hair removal.
3. If I get one treatment done today, when can I come back for the next treatment?
It would usually be about 4-8 weeks in between laser sessions. Depending on the area of the body being treated and how your hair responds to the laser treatments, it could be more or less. This varies according to the person. This would be explained to you during your free 15-minute laser consultation.
4. What do I need to prepare for my free 15-minute laser consultation? Definitely no waxing, tweezing, threading or tanning four weeks prior to your laser consultation and throughout the duration of all your actual laser appointments.
5. I am going to Mexico in a couple of weeks. Is it okay for me to have a laser treatment? Unfortunately, it is not recommended. It is best that you do not have any sun exposure to the laser area 4 weeks prior to the appointment, and also 4 weeks after the appointment.
6. I usually get waxing done. What do I need to know before I get a laser treatment?
It is preferred that you come in for a laser treatment at least 30 days from your last waxing appointment.
7. How long should my hair be before I get a laser treatment? It is best to shave the area that you would like to have laser treatment done at least 12 hours or more before you come in for your appointment. This is so that your skin is not so raw from just being shaved.
The Movie Spa
LASER HAIR REMOVAL PRE-CARE
- Shave the area being treated but not less than 12 hours before your treatment
- No waxing for 6 weeks before your treatment
- No tanning for 4 weeks before your treatments
- No self tanners
- No makeup if you are getting laser on the face
- Wear suncreen everyday if you are getting laser on the face
- No deodorant if you are getting laser on the underarms
- No photo-sensitive medications (If you are unsure please see your doctor)
- If you are prone to cold sores or herpes simplex please see your doctor and take the prescribed medication for 3 days before and after your treatment to prevent an outbreak.
- Please discontinue laser if you become pregnant
- No alcohol or non-prescription drugs before a treatment
- If you are sensitive to pain you may take an advil 1 hr before your treatment
- If you are sensitive to pain you may use a topical anaesthetic like Numb-It Cream on the area 1 hour before your treatment (See instructions below)
LASER HAIR REMOVAL POST-CARE
- Do not shower for 24 hours after your treatment. If you need to shower please make it a cooler shower and do not use anything abrasive on the area
- No excessive sweating for 24 hours after your treatment (no working out, no saunas, no swimming, no hot yoga etc...)
- No deodorant for 24 hours after your treatment if you are getting laser on the underarm area
- No makeup for 24 hours after your treatment if you are getting laser on the face, mineral makeup is okay.
- No sun exposure for 1 week after your treatment (Preferrably no sun exposure to the area at all)
- If irritation occurs you may use Polysporin ointment or Aloe Vera gel
NUMB-IT Topical Anaesthetic Cream (Only if needed)
- You can purchase Numb-It from any pharmacy over the counter or at The Movie Spa. No prescription is needed
- Apply a thick layer to the area 1 hr before your treatment is to begin
- Cover the area in plastic wrap
- Do not remove the cream before arriving at the spa because it will lose it's effectiveness once it becomes dry
- We will remove the Numb-It before the treatment begins.
Bikini Waxing (just the sides) $20 and up (A-List price $16 and up)
French Waxing (1-inch strip) $30 and up (A-List price $24 and up)
Brazilian Waxing (all gone) $55 and up (A-List price $44 and up)
Full Leg Waxing $50 (A-List price $40)
Upper Leg Waxing $35 (A-List price $28)
Lower Leg Waxing $30 (A-List price $24)
Full Arm Waxing $40 (A-List price $32)
Half Arm Waxing $25 (A-List price $20)
1. What EXACTLY is a Brazilian wax and what is the difference between Brazilian and French?
A Brazilian wax envolves removal of ALL pubic hairs.
A French wax 'leaves a strip' of hair, not removing the hair on the lips or between the bum cheeks. With a French wax, the client can choose to leave hair on the pubic mound, or to have that hair removed.
2. Should I wear 'old' underwear during the wax?
Not necessary. During a French or Brazilian wax, you will not be wearing underwear. We will drape you with a towel, so as not to cause you to feel too exposed.
3. How do I prepare for a Brazilian wax?
We require your hair length to be around 1/4 of an inch (about eyelash length). You can either shave prior to your appointment with enough time for your hair to grow, or trim hair with small scissors.
It is recommended that you schedule waxing appointments approximately every 4 weeks. This allows hair to grow to the appropriate length, also, continuous regular waxing is less painful (not to mention more beneficial) than getting waxed every couple of months. The more frequently you get waxed, the quicker it takes for your hair to grow back in thinner, thus causing less pain. Plus long hair is more difficult to remove, as it can tend to become matted with wax, thus taking more time in the appointment, and causing more pain.
Once you become a regular waxer it is highly recommended that you do not return to shaving - even between extended visits. Shaving will cause your hair to grow back in noticably thicker and coarser.